Stordal Village Museum
The Village Museum consists of the Løset House, from the end of the 18th century, a storehouse on pillars from Busengdal, and the old Priest´s House from about 1850. These were moved here in the nineteen-eighties from their original locations. The Løset house and the storehouse are owned by the municipality; the National Trust of Norway owns the Priest´s House.
The Løset House
THE LØSET HOUSE This house built in the 1790s, comes from the Løset farm in the Røyset valley in Stordal. The local vernacular dwelling houses were long, single storey buildings with a small window in the roof to give light over the entrance door. Two generations would share the ground floor, whilst children and servants would sleep in the attic. The house was listed in 1939; Martin Løset and his family lived there until 1943.
Every farm would have a storehouse, used for storing food, clothing and other valuables. The storehouse is raised off the ground on large stones or logs with a flat stone on the top. The flat stone prevents vermin from getting in and eating the provisions. This storehouse has been moved from Utigard in Busengdal, and parts of it are from the 1600s
The Priest`s House
The Priest´s House was built around 1850. As the priest did not live in the village, the house served as his office and living quarters when he was here.
The house, which previously stood where the road is now, was due to be demolished in 1978. In 1984, after much controversy, the National Trust of Norway took over the house and moved it to the area newly designated as a museum. Today it is used as a service building for the Museum.